Happy February! My Designer Newsletter went out yesterday, and in it, I shared a few more of my favourite online resources for pattern writing and design. If you’ve been on my list for a while you’ll remember that back in August I shared my favourite sock resources. This month I have combed through my Knitwear Designer Resources Pinterest board and put together a few more of the pages I go back to again and again, as well as a few of my own tutorials and resources that you may not have seen before (I’ve marked these with a *).
I’ve organized these by category and I hope you find them helpful. You can also follow my Knitwear Designer Resources Pinterest board to see new resources as I find and collect them!
Online Resources for Pattern Writing and Design
- Joeli Creates YouTube channel – lots of great tutorials on everything from business strategy and organization to using Stitchmastery and Inkscape
- Technical/software tutorials for pattern writing from Marnie MacLean – Design-specific tutorials for Excel, Illustrator, Photoshop, Word, etc.
- Writing patterns with both charts and written instructions* – When to use charts, written instructions, both, and why
- Real Body Croquis – For sketching designs on body figures – all shapes and sizes
- Stitch pattern glossary – Great for getting inspiration for new designs
- Indicating stitch count changes* – How, when, and why
- Understanding crown shaping – A great resource for writing hat patterns
- Sending single-use Ravelry coupon codes with MailChimp*
- Pattern release checklist + how to use checklists to complete repetitive tasks*
Tech Editing Availability
I also included my tech editing availability for the coming month. Definitely get in touch soon if you were planning on having a pattern ready for editing over the next two weeks – my planned snowboarding trip has limited my availability and I already have just a few spots left for the first half of the month! At blog post publication time, I have the following spaces available:
February 5th – 11th: 2 spaces remaining!
February 12th – 18th: 2 spaces remaining!
February 19th – 25th: 5 spaces
February 29th – March 4th: 6 spaces
Get in touch if you’d like to reserve a spot!
PS – Didn’t get the email? Sign up to make sure you don’t miss out next month! Be sure to check the box indicating you are interested in receiving information about pattern writing/design + tech editing availability.